Friday, April 22, 2011

Pete and Alice Dye to receive lifetime achievement awards

An editorial piece in today's Indy Star talks about the impact Pete & Alice Dye have had in the golf course design industry. Pete & Alice are being honored by the Methodist Sports Medicine Foundation for their contributions to the sport.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110422/OPINION07/104220321/

Pete and Alice started designing courses in the Indianapolis area in the 1960s, including the well-known Crooked Stick Golf in Carmel, and since then the Dye family has designed hundreds of courses around the world, including TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedre, Florida; Whistling Straits near Sheboygan, Wisconsin (site of last year's PGA Championship); the breathtaking new course near the French Lick Resort in Indiana; Teeth of the Dog at Caso de Campo, Dominican Republic; Harbour Town Golf Links in Hilton Head, South Carolina (where the PGA tour pros are currently competing) and their current project, the Black Pearl course in Roatan, Honduras. For an interactive map of Dye courses, check out http://dyedesigns.com/courses/.

I've been fortunate enough to have played 7 Dye courses - Brickyard Crossing in Speedway (my personal favorite); The Fort, Eagle Creek (Sycamore and Pines Course), Sahm, and Maple Creek, all in Indianapolis; Plum Creek in Carmel; and Harbour Trees in Noblesville. And I have more than 100 more Dye courses on my list and can't wait to check them off.

So which Dye courses have you played? Which ones are you planning to or hoping to play this summer? Which one is your favorite? Let me know about some of your experiences and observations. Like the time I birdied a hole (#8 at Brickyard Crossing) inside of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is something I'll never forget. Or the early morning Columbus Day round I played with two good friends at Eagle Creek's Sycamore Course. Or the tee shot my wife poked into Morse Reservoir on a par-3 at Harbour Trees. I'm Dyeing to hear some of your memorable Dye course moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment